What is Keyword Research and Why is It Important?
Keyword research is the foundation of SEO. It is the process of identifying popular terms and phrases your target users are searching for online.
A comprehensive keyword research strategy provides insights into your audience and shows you the high-value keywords you need to optimize your content, to improve SEO rankings.
Keyword research is useful at any stage of a business and can help you achieve the following:
- Discover what your audience is searching for online
- Understand the competitive landscape in your niche
- Identify low competition opportunities you can rank for
- Understand search intent and meet it with your content
- Gauge the market demand for your products/services
- Discover new ranking opportunities you may have missed
- Gain a better understanding of your target audience
- Identify search terms and phrases with traffic potential
- Identify organic ranking opportunities for your business
- Prioritize your content efforts around your core topics
Keyword research acts as a pillar of your SEO. It helps you identify the right keywords to use and gives your web content the power to rank high on Google SERP.
Our FREE keyword research template is exactly what you need to scale your ongoing SEO efforts and get on the first page of Google.
Get The Free Template Now!
Why Do You Need a Keyword Research Template?
Keyword research is a complicated process that can yield poor results when not done properly. There are a million tools and techniques for finding keywords, which can make things confusing for you.
Our FREE keyword research template combines all these techniques to provide you with an organized and structured way to find relevant keywords for your website.
So, instead of bouncing from one keyword tool and technique to the next and losing track of your progress, you can use our easy-to-use keyword research template and learn how to get your BIG list of target keywords in minutes.
There are numerous other benefits of using a keyword research template, such as:
- Staying organized: A keyword research template provides a clear structure for organizing your data in a manner that makes it easy to extract valuable insights from it.
- Saves you time: Keyword research can be a time-consuming process. A keyword research template provides a predefined structure that helps you save time.
- Supports collaboration: A keyword research template makes it easier to work together as a team. Changes in the document can be tracked with ease by everyone.
- Easy to analyze data: A keyword research template supports seamless data analysis. Functions like filtering and sorting provide insights and trends you can exploit.
- Easy to customize: Our FREE keyword research template is fully customizable. You can adapt it to the needs of your business and start finding valuable keywords.
Using a keyword research template will greatly enhance your SEO content strategy. It will help you find the right keywords to target to improve your visibility and drive more organic traffic to your site.
What’s Included in This Keyword Research Template?
This in-depth keyword research template will help you organize, streamline, and track all the data and insights from your keyword research. You will learn how to rank keywords based on their keyword difficulty and find those that are easy to rank.
You will also be able to estimate the traffic and leads you could generate from specific keywords and make informed decisions about your content marketing strategy.
Our keyword research template can be used by marketers of all levels to compile their keyword ideas and research data in one place to lay the foundation for a successful SEO strategy.
Here’s what’s included in our keyword research template:
- Tips for finding valuable keyword opportunities: The template provides you with sources you can exploit to find useful keywords for your website content.
- Instructions for evaluating keywords: Our keyword research template shares the key metrics you can use to determine if a keyword is worth pursuing.
- Tried and tested methods for finding keywords: We share the most reliable methods for finding keywords that are relevant to your website or business.
Download the Free Keyword Research Template
How to Conduct Keyword Research Using Our Template?
Here’s how to use our FREE keyword research template to discover numerous keyword opportunities for your business.
Step 1: Create Your Master Keyword List
Start by brainstorming all the keywords that are relevant to your business. Don’t worry about the search volume of the keywords at this moment since the aim here is to come up with a long list of potential keywords.
Typically, you want to list approximately 100 keywords, but the number depends on the scope of your project.
Step 2: Find the Search Volume and Keyword Difficulty of Keywords
Feed the keywords into your SEO tool of choice to determine their demand and competition. Moz, SemRUSH, and Ahrefs are some of the SEO tools you can use to find the difficulty score and monthly search volume of your keywords.
Export the data for your shortlisted keywords from the SEO tool and paste it into the tab in the keyword research template labeled “Keyword Data.”
Step 3: Select Topics Based on Keywords You Want to Target
With your keyword data pasted into the template, it’s now time to assign topics to the keywords. Use the tips and resources provided in the template to create a list of topics with specific keywords.
You can create topic clusters by creating content on various keywords under one broad topic.
Step 4: Create Content and Iterate
After identifying the best keywords, it’s now time to create relevant content around those Start by creating the pillar content for your main keyword and content clusters using related keywords within a broad topic.
To guide your content efforts, add a column in the template to indicate whether you’ve created content for a particular keyword or not.
Also, ensure to track the ranking of the content you've created to see how fast you're rising the search rankings for a particular keyword.
Q1. What is keyword research?
A. Keyword research is the process of identifying the popular terms and specific keyword phrases your target users are searching for on search engines. You can use these keywords to optimize your website content for search engines and improve your SERP rankings.
Q2. Why do I need to do keyword research?
A. A comprehensive keyword research strategy provides insights about your audience and shows you the high-value keywords you need to optimize for to improve SEO rankings.
Keyword optimization helps search engines like Google understand what your content is about. When you optimize your content for the right keywords, search engines are more likely to rank it for relevant search queries.
Q3. What is a keyword research template?
A. A keyword research template is a framework that provides a structured and organized way to conduct keyword research.
It eliminates the need for using several tools and techniques and helps you focus your keyword research efforts to help you find the right keywords for your website content.
Q4. Why is a keyword research template beneficial to marketers?
A. A keyword research template is beneficial to marketers because it provides:
- Tips for finding valuable keyword opportunities
- Instructions for evaluating keywords
- Tried and tested methods for finding keywords
- Provides tools and resources you can use for keyword research
Download our free keyword research template to make your job easier.
Q5. Where can I get a free keyword research template?
A. We have a FREE keyword research template you can download from this page to help you find keywords that are most relevant to your business. You can use it to find relevant keywords and shortlist the right keywords from your list. This template is easy to customize and can streamline the keyword research process making it easier.
Conduct Keyword Research Like a Pro with This Template
Download our FREE keyword research template to streamline your keyword research efforts. There’s no need for multiple tools and techniques when our free intelligent template can help you find valuable keywords for your business.