Slack is undoubtedly one of the leading collaboration tools in the world right now.
But if you are a start-up or a small business, there are a few Slack alternatives you may want to consider that offer great features but come with a more economical price tag.
Team communication apps have taken over the world. According to a survey conducted by Mio, 91% of businesses use at least 2 messaging apps for workplace communication.
Why this widespread popularity, you may ask?
As teams connect and collaborate remotely, business communication apps like Slack help to make the entire workflow clear and smooth. Slack is undoubtedly the leader among the world’s best team messengers.
But for a start-up or small business, the plethora of features offered by Slack may be more than what they actually need. Slack also might prove to be too expensive for their limited budget.
If these are the reasons you are looking for Slack alternatives as well, then you have arrived at the right post.
As we compare and analyze the top 7 Slack alternatives, we aim to give you a clear understanding of what each tool has on offer for you.
So without further ado, let's get started.
Leading Slack Alternatives for Your Team Members
To bring all of your professional communication to one place, you need a workhorse.
With so many team chat tools out there, however, it could be a real challenge to find the right Slack alternative for you.
To help you select among the alternatives to Slack, we compare the features, pros, cons, and pricing of 7 leading team messaging tools.
Let's get started.
Image via Chanty
Chanty is our top choice among Slack alternatives in the market today. Founded in 2016, Chanty is a simple and intuitive team chat app that comes with a built-in task manager.
As one of the leading Slack alternatives, Chanty brings you voice calls, video calls, and third-party integrations along with seamless real-time chat
Leaders from different business streams like Oracle, Tata, Nasa, and others depend on Chanty for flawless team communication.
- Chanty’s Teambook is a hub to organize your tasks, conversations, flagged chats, shared documents, and more
- Offers audio and video team calls. You can leave a voice message, too!
- Allows you to share multiple content types like files, social media content, GIFs, and much more
- Lets you create, assign, and manage tasks with ease
- Allows you to set control roles to manage your teamspace better
- Onboarding across various devices and platforms is easy with Chanty
- As one of the top alternatives to Slack, Chanty offers unlimited message history
- Compatible with iOS and Android devices
- Voice messages help speed up the conversations
- Can be integrated with a variety of apps for higher productivity
- Does not offer customer support via phone
- It’s one of the easier-to-use Slack alternatives out there for ‘non-techy’ users.
- Free Plan – Free forever
- Business – $3 user/month (billed annually)
Image via Rocket.Chat
Next up on our list of Slack alternatives is Rocket.Chat. With this one tool, you can manage communication with your team members, clients, vendors, and even customers, regardless of the way they connect with you.
This customer-centric tool allows you to integrate chatbots, CRM tools, and machine learning apps to scale up your customer service.
Rocket.Chat says that more than 12 million users in 150 countries use this Slack alternative as a secure collaboration platform.
- Collaborate with team members via chat, audio, and video calls
- The instant messaging translation tool helps users communicate across multiple languages
- This is one of the top Slack alternatives offering omnichannel customer support solutions
- Protects users’ data in every conversation
- Offers audio/video conferencing with screen sharing
- Suitable for businesses that handle sensitive business and customer data
- The free version is packed with features
- Offers a 30-days free trial of their Enterprise edition
- Some features seem to be only partially developed and may not be available for all plans
- Rocket.Chat is one of the simpler and more efficient Slack alternatives currently on the market.
- Community – Free
- Pro – $3 per user/month
- Enterprise – Contact sales
Image via Discord
Discord is as much for gamers, artists, and people with common interests as it is for workplace communication. As one of the most popular Slack alternatives, Discord’s emphasis is on voice chat.
The tool gives you more control over every group, with both moderation tools and specific member access.
If you’ve been hoping for a Slack alternative that is fun and simple, Discord could be just the thing for you.
- Allows you to build interest groups and communities based on your hobbies
- Low-latency voice chat allows faster conversations
- The Public Test Build allows you to try out and test new features before they are launched
- Get 2 server boosts, HD video, customizable emojis, and bigger uploads with the paid plan
- This is one of the simpler Slack alternatives, and is easy to install and setup
- Most of the text, audio, and video call features are available in the free plan
- This Slack alternative is available for iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and Linux users
- Offers text, audio and video chat
- For bigger uploads and personal profiles, you have to subscribe to the paid plan
- This Slack alternative is priced higher compared to other tools on our list
- Easy to use
- Free – Download Discord on your browser
- Nitro – $9.99 per month
Image via Mattermost
Mattermost defines itself as a team communication tool built for developers. As one of the top Slack alternatives, the tool has Channels, Playbooks, and Boards that ensure that team communication is easy and organized.
European Parliament, Nasa, Nasdaq, and the United States Air Force are just a few noted customers of Mattermost.
- An open-source tool with an interface that is easy to customize
- Mattermost Channels facilitates private and group chats with audio and video integration
- Brings you configurable playbooks with built-in task checklists
- Mattermost boards help to plan and manage projects with intuitive ease
- The tool focuses on meeting strict security, privacy, and compliance requirements
- Offers scalability and effortless customization
- Community chats and forum discussions help you stay updated
- Gives you complete control over all conversations, keeping your information safe
- You can automate repetitive tasks easily
- Integrating with other tools and services can be a complex process
- Mattermost is priced higher than the other feature-rich Slack alternatives
- Easy to use with basic technical knowledge
- Starter – Free
- Professional – $10 per user/month
- Enterprise – Contact Sales
Add-ons are possible on Professional and Enterprise plans so that you can enjoy more features.
Image via Flock
Flock is one of the leading Slack alternatives that offer you a new way to communicate and collaborate with your team members. Audio and video calls enable seamless communication on the go. Its built-in productivity tools and plug-in apps help team members to manage all their responsibilities in one place.
What's more, Flock offers integration with many third-party apps to speed up and simplify workflow.
- Offers productivity tools like file sharing, to-dos, polls, and reminders
- Connect from any device via voice and video calls
- Streamline messaging with private and public channels
- Integrated search makes it easy to search for documents, images, links, notes, specific messages, and much more
- Multilevel user access and permission helps control all activities on Flock
- Send instant voice messages for more meaningful chats
- This team chat tool protects your data and conversations with authentication features
- To-do lists and reminders keep your team updated about tasks
- Offers around-the-clock customer support
- Offers 30 days free trial on paid plans
- Limited third-party app integration
- Mobile users may notice a lag at times
- Flock is one of the easier Slack alternatives to use, and has a minimal learning curve
- Starter – Free
- Pro – $6 user/month
- Enterprise – Contact Sales
Image via Ryver
Ryver has emerged as one of the leading Slack alternatives for teams to collaborate, communicate, and automate business processes.
Founded in 2014, Ryver brings you fully integrated searchable collaboration spaces. Robust encryption and secure login methods keep your data safe.
Ryver does not offer a free plan, which may keep many start-ups from considering it as one of the possible Slack alternatives for them.
- Organize team conversations under Forums, Teams, and People
- Ryver simplifies log in with Single Sign-On (SSO)
- News Streaming allows you to automatically receive social media posts, news updates, and RSS feed directly in Ryver
- It offers unlimited audio and video calls, file sharing, and searches
- Allows you to create custom conversation channels
- Helps you to organize topics and tasks
- Ryver is available for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac users
- Easy integration with leading third-party tools
- Offers a 14-days free trial on Starter and 30 Users Packs
- Does not offer a free plan
- UI could be simplified for easier onboarding
- Easy to use
- Starter – $49/month
- 30 User Pack – $99/month
- Enterprise – $3.5 /user
Image via RingCentral
The last and final communication tool on our list of Slack alternatives is RingCentral MVP.
With this team chat tool, you can connect with your team via message, video, and phone calls. In fact, RingCentral brings you one of the best enterprise-capable VoIP features in this category.
- Simplifies workflow with private and team chat, file sharing, and task management
- Unlimited one-click video calls make virtual meetings effortless
- Offers top-of-class cloud-based VoIP services with advanced calling capabilities
- Gives seven layers of security to keep your data and conversations safe
- You can easily switch calls from desktop to a mobile device so that you can stay connected on the go
- Drive team productivity with messaging, video, and phone combined into one tool
- Offers plenty of resources to get you started
- Easy integration with more than 250 third-party apps
- Free trial available on Essentials, Standard, and Premium packs.
- It does not offer a free version of the tool
- RingCentral MVP is one of the simpler Slack alternatives to use
- Essentials – $19.99 user/month
- Standard – $27.99 user/month
- Premium – $34.99 user/month
- Ultimate – $49.99 user/month
Q1. Is there anything plainly better than Slack?
A. Slack is certainly one of the most widely used team chat tools. But for smaller companies looking for inexpensive yet feature-rich tools, there are alternatives to Slack.
All the Slack alternatives that we have discussed here have similar and more advanced features compared to the popular tool. You can select the best one from this list of Slack alternatives based on your requirement.
Q2. Who are competitors to Slack?
A. Here are the top Slack alternatives:
- RingCentral MVP
Q3. What are the free alternatives to Slack?
A. Leading Slack alternatives like Chanty, Rocket.Chat, and others offer a free version of their workplace communication app. The features provided in the free plan are good enough to manage your team chats effortlessly.
If you would like to leverage some of their additional features, you’ll have to subscribe to their paid plans.
Q4. Is there a Google product similar to Slack?
A. Yes, Google Hangout is one of the alternatives to Slack.
This free tool comes loaded with features that are enough to attract any Slack user. It is available for a multitude of users using iOS, Android, windows, or other platforms.
If you work specifically with Google Docs, Google Drive, and other related tools, then Hangouts could be one of the best alternatives to Slack.
So! Have You Selected Your Team Communication App Yet?
There they are, our top picks for the best Slack alternatives.
Slack can be cumbersome and expensive for smaller companies. We have given you 7 Slack alternatives that offer great features and competitive pricing, too.
Which among these alternatives to Slack do you think is best for your team? What are the most essential features a team chat tool should have? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section.
Support your team with a feature-rich collaboration tool and watch them deliver more with every project.